Just a brief post to touch upon a new musing that I have in the works! (On the off-chance that you thought that I'd already fallen back into a slump and forgotten about my blog)
I promised it would be Zelda free and indeed it is!
So what's it about instead? Well, it's not about one video game exactly but rather an issue with video games as a medium that I have as a developer.
Golly, that sounds serious!
There'll be talk of Aubergine, "early-access", George Harrison, Team Fortress 2, Buddhist principles, and many other non-Zelda things.
I am TRYING to remind myself that these musings are meant to be somewhat rough around the edges, so hopefully I can get out of the planning stage and into actually writing this pretty soon. Hopefully you can expect it over the next few days!
This is something that I've been mulling over for a while now but I'm officially putting it into effect to streamline Aubergine's development process.
There are some mechanics and features that I'd totally love to implement and put into Aubergine but frankly you need to draw a line somewhere or you'll never finish your game. However, Turbo HD Remixes are totally a thing; and you can do them to your own game (just look at Edmund McMillen!).
So, to save me some grief I've decided to create a feature list for what that deluxe edition of Aubergine might add. That might seem a little pre-emptive but I'm thinking of it more as a "THINGS I'M NOT PUTTING IN AUBERGINE, NO MATTER HOW COOL I THINK IT'D BE" list. I REALLY want to finish Aubergine so I'm trying to cut down my workload as much as possible.
Anyhow, here's what I hope to add one day:
- Multiple/Branching Paths (this is something I tried really hard to get working in the last build but to no avail; saving myself a headache and opting to forget about it for the time being)
- Hidden/Alt Bosses (tied into the multiple paths)
- Unlockable/Secret Characters (I have some ideas for them but by cutting them out I'm removing the amount of art, design and balancing work needed)
- Alt Colours (just a nice little bonus; definitely something to save til the end)
- Higher difficulty/Turbo mode (would have to effectively balance two games; let's save some time and just balance the one for now)
I'm back! More after the break. This part is just to say that Aubergine is happening again and that this blog, my twitter and my trello board are the best places to peruze for updates regarding the thing. I've actually just finished the very first version (0.1, whoop whoop!) of Aubergine's game design document for your reading pleasure. You can find that on the trello board I mentioned a sentence or two ago (but you can also click this if you want) or right here on this site on the Aubergine page (which is under Games, but you can also click this; click, click, click!).
For those who want to know more about where I've been and what I'm doing I'll see you after the break!