"November Is Awful" was the name of an event I proposed to my game dev inclined friends. The aim was simple: to work on our games as much as possible through the dismal month of November. Everyone was (and continues to be) at different stages of development and so there were no clear goals or deadlines. That didn't matter, I just wanted everyone to get that little bit closer to completing their first game.
Update in regards to Aubergine!
I have recently (after serious contemplation) decided to change the engine I am making Aubergine in. That's right, I'm switching from Construct 2 to Unity.
"But Alex!" I hear you cry "that sounds like an unnecessary way to make the already chaotic process of game development even more turbulent!"
It sounds far more tempestuous (what a word!) than it really is. Let me put your mind at ease through the fantastic medium of the Q&A!
So I mentioned last time (which was months and months and months ago; sorry!) that I was about to throw myself into some solo game development...
And indeed I did!
And I'm pleased to say that I am still very much in the midst of the task, and that whilst it's proven a lot more complicated than I'd originally thought, it has not dampened my spirits in the slightest.
I'll be sure to post a more robust summary of 'Aubgerine' in the very-very-near future, but for now I'll simply say that it is a 2D Horizontal Scrolling Shmup being developed in Construct 2 for the PC.
I've updated my site layout! How fancy do I look now?
Right! So, I intend to start using this blog for more than just posting breakdowns of my 3D work. I am currently working on a couple of personal projects in my spare time and I'd like to use this online space to showcase and talk about what I'm up to. Not just for the sole purpose of self promotion, you understand, but rather for self reflection.
One of the projects in question is a (hopefully/presumably) short game that I am creating on my own using Construct 2. I figure that this blog might serve as a useful place to post updates regarding it as well as thoughts, theories and musings on game design and the process of designing games.
I've set up another blog to host any and all sketches, doodles and comics that I do; basically a place for anything I do that isn't really connected to game development. I expect that there'll be a reasonable amount of cross-posting and later down the line I may fob off one of them in favour of a 'one-blog system' but I'll see how this works out for the meantime.
Oh! And before I forget, I also set up a twitter account. I'm still getting my bearings in the world of micro-blogging but I imagine it'll be handy for posting updates and such!
What's a young adventurer without an old wooden shield (typically passed down in the family for aeons)? Nothing. And so I had to have a go at making my own. Again, it served a a great practice of a lot of the skills I've gained throughout this project.
A staple of dungeon crawling, the chest served as a nice practice of both wood AND metal textures. Very fancy!
So with the barrel and crate completed I started work on the sword. After a couple of shaky starts I found the famed Tyson Murphy tutorial on creating a hand painted weapon and from there on out it was smoother sailing. Instead of recreating the weapon in the tutorial I opted to create my own design.
Another prop, another wood texture. After my little self-assessment of the crate that I created last week I was eager to apply what I'd learnt. So I opted to work on the texture for the Barrel prop; seeing how it was mostly wood.
I've always found that creating a wood texture with that painterly vibe to be a challenge. So it's no coincidence that a lot of the props I'll be creating for this project will require me to tackle that challenge head on (again and again!). And so I begin with a good old fashioned wooden crate; feeling that it will be a good start to honing my handpainted abilities.
I am starting work on a small project in which I will create a handful (read as: eight) of handpainted, low-poly props of the usual Adventure Game/RPG flavour. My goals for this are as followed:
1. To work on and improve my handpainted texturing, especially in regards to common materials such as metal, glass and wood (which I often find tricky)
2. To demonstrate my abilities as a prop artist
3. To experiment with, and work on, the geometric form of low-poly models
4. To have some fun painting and modelling
So, taking some inspiration from the kipple and clobber found in games like the Zelda and Elder Scrolls series I have blocked out eight potential props. From left to right we have:
A treasure chest/potential Mimic, a crate, a barrel, a bottle/vial, a sword of sorts, a buckler, a ceramic pot of untold delights and, of course, a humble bomb.
Now if this all works out well enough I may very well opt to add more to the collection, but for now I think eight props is enough to be getting on with.