What's a young adventurer without an old wooden shield (typically passed down in the family for aeons)? Nothing. And so I had to have a go at making my own. Again, it served a a great practice of a lot of the skills I've gained throughout this project.
As is tradition I started off by painting in the base values. I tried to include more hue variation in the wood this time, transitioning from yellow to red.
I tweaked the colours a little before advancing any further (since I wanted to paint most of this on one layer) and then I started painting in some details such as the highlights on the metal and the spaces between the wooden planks. I also blocked in the core values for the handle(s), using the same approach that I used in the sword study.
Feeling a little adventurous I had a go at using some darker brush strokes for the wood-grain and I was quite happy with the results; a lot closer to the usual painterly style than my previous examples.
Next I painted in the details for the wrappings on the handle as well as painting in some fake ambient oclusion on the metal.
To give the shield a bit more character I painted a cool looking symbol on the front (a little homage to one of the classics) making sure to pay attention to where the cracks in the wood would break up the painted design.